Thursday, August 16, 2012

Deep Tissue Massage -- What is Deep Tissue Massage?


What is a deep tissue massage, you ask? Deep tissue is by far my most requested service. When I worked for a Chiropractor on the East Coast, I helped people manage their pain on a daily basis. It's truly the most rewarding part of my career to see the improvement and results in my patients over time -- The same patients who might have had an obvious limp, walking with a cane before their 1st session, or walking with knee supports, to walk again without those aides. I've also had people tell me they were less dependent on pain medications. Massage is not a cure, but it makes a huge difference. 

Deep tissue massage helps relieve tension, with the main focus on pain relief. Whether it's a chronic ache that lasts over time, an injury, or too much physical activity, this is the style for you. It's especially great for stiff necks, tight muscles, and tense shoulders. It also helps increase range of motion in joints where movement may have been restricted.

What does a deep tissue massage feel like? It really depends because techniques and treatments vary. Truth be told, it's not always the most relaxing, and you may have a slight discomfort at times and possibly a muscle ache the following day. That being said, I personally like to combine my deep tissue techniques with Swedish (relaxing) massage together, and many patients fall asleep during treatment. I also give recommendations to reduce post-massage soreness, which is often a small price to pay for how great you will feel otherwise. It's important, however, that you communicate any pain or if there's too much pressure being applied. The saying "no pain, no gain" is truly not necessary. Your personal comfort level is always important.

Many people are surprised at how strong I am with such a small body frame. I assure you, the technique is the most important part of the massage. I use a combination of fingertips, hands, knuckles, forearms, elbows, and specific body mechanics to increase pressure as necessary. In fact, my experience in medical massage has made deep tissue one of my specialties.

Do you have any questions about deep tissue massage? I'll be answering your questions and addressing other types of massage in following posts. Stay tuned! Same blog spot, same blog time...









No comments:

Post a Comment